Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Triangles and lines: Second Highlight

I've just finished the Second Highlight on the garments. Take a look. It should look a little out-of-place yet, but give a sense of light, as well.

Betsy Porter explains that "A smaller second highlight represents the Anthropos, the enlivening light of
human intellect and culture."


It definitely reveals a dimension that we are used to seeing around us, doesn't it?
After preparing all the mixtures and getting them just right, these lines took about 15 minutes per area.


Okay, maybe 20.


And as you can see, most areas are in these very pointy triangles, or trapezoids.
In the middle figure, there were LOTS of triangles.

 In the right figure, there were longer triangles.



 And in the figure on the left, we see more of the lines, than actual shapes.


(These pointed aspects are supposed to help indicate the icon's divinity, and, dare I say, sparkle.)


One of the things that I am really coming to terms with while prayerfully walking through this writing process, is my tendency for perfection. This is my FIRST icon. And I am by no means an expert in iconography, but I have this inkling to make it perfect, make it either exactly like the original, or exactly life-like. And one of the things that iconography is NOT supposed to be, is life-like. I hope I'm not repeating myself, but Iconography has an approachable, but distinctly "other" character about it. It's not like a snapshot picture. You have elongated noses, and the ignorance of three-dimensions.

Intentionally, the icon is trying to engage, but not represent the image. No idol-worship in these parts!


And this struck me this week. My perfectionist tendency lead me to confront my heart's desire. This icon is to be used completely for God's glory, and so it must be given into His hands. And the Eastern Orthodox church acknowledges this wonderfully, and incorporates the artist's mistakes into the understanding that this is not a perfect picture of the divine. And there is just one more thing that shows that. And something to recognize the next time you see an icon.


It also allowed me to let go of my need to have my icon look precisely like the Rublev's, giving me permission to make my prayers be known through the writing. What freedom! Now, if only I could get these faces down...


Another challenge for another day.


"Lord God, almighty and everlasting Father, you have brought me in safety to the beginning of this day: Preserve me with your mighty power, that I may not fall into sin, nor be overcome by adversity; and in all I do, direct me to the fulfilling of your purposes; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen."

The Divine Hours: Pocket Edition. Phyllis Tickle. (Oxford University, 2007.)

No comments:

Post a Comment